Ban’ka jug. Ukrainians, Hutsuls. The town of Kosovo, the Ivano-Frankovsk Region. Mid-20th century.
The jug was received from the G. Levin’s collection in 1990. In was made in the 1950’s by a well-known potter Anna Roshchibiuk. The ban’ka is produced in the tradition of the indigenous ceramics from Kosovo, a major Transcarpathian center of this craft.Ban’ka jus were used to hold vegetable oil. They differed from ordinary jugs in having narrower necks with slightly raised ‘collars’ on them